Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Power of Positive Thinking


Think Positive! It is very easy to say that, but it can be very difficult to do. We have so many problems confronting us on a daily basis, which can be so negative that it can be hard to stay positive. But it is important to try to be positive, even if you are not feeling that way. Why? Let me tell you a story. A few years ago, I moved to Vermont after living in Chicago many years. I had no job and very little money. After a few months, all of my money was about gone and the rent was overdue. I was getting pressure from everywhere to pay my bills. During the midst of my troubles, I applied for a job position as a Counselor with the Department of Human Services. During the day of my application, the human resource person told me that there were over one hundred applicants for the job position. I could not believe it! What chance would I ever have at securing this job? I felt more depressed and very half-heartedly completed the application with very little hope at getting it. I went home and spoke to my friend about it. He could see that I was feeling very doubtful about my chances at getting the job. He told me that I needed to change my attitude. I argued that it was not realistic! There were all these other applicants with much more experience than me applying for this job. How would I ever have any chance at all? He patiently told me that I needed to be open to the possibility that I could get that job. I was still pessimistic, but I agreed to give it a try. So I opened myself to the possibility and prayed to God to help me. The following week I received a call from the Department of Human Services scheduling me for a job interview. I was blown away! Out of all those people, I was chosen for an interview. Well needless to say, I interviewed well and got the job. There was no way I would have gotten that job, if I had not changed my thinking and my attitude. It was an important lesson.

From an esoteric perspective, the reason it is important to think positive is because matter follows thought. There are three planes of existence in the universe. They are the physical, astral and mental planes. Manifestation begins on the higher planes as a thought or idea and then manifests on the physical plane. An idea has to manifest on the mental planes before it manifests on the physical plane. When the Wright Brothers began to work on creating the first aircraft, they had to have the idea of flight and it's possibility, before they began making their aircraft. Many people, who were not open to the idea of flight, thought it was silly. They would say things like; If man were meant to fly, he would have wings. Of course, they never flew. One time, a close friend of mine, Steve had this black cat. Steve told me that his cat could do tricks. I had never seen a cat do tricks before. Dogs yes, cats no! Steve said his cat could lay down at his command. I was very doubtful and told Steve that cats are far too independent to do any such thing. We then went to the living room where Steve's cat was sitting on his couch. We both sat next to his cat and Steve told his cat to lie down. Well the cat just sat there and did nothing. I looked at Steve with that I told you so look. Steve immediately said I was being too negative and skeptical, which was interfering with his commands. I said OK, I will be more open to the possibility. So Steve told his cat again to lie down. Well, his cat just plopped right down on the couch. It was very impressive! But what impressed me even more was how my skepticism was working as a real force to prevent Steve's cat from performing his trick. It showed me how important it is to keep an open and positive mind. Negativity is a real force that can cause negative things to happen. That is why it is soooo important to think positive in all that you are trying to accomplish in this world. It is also important to be aware of other people's negativity, especially when they are unaware of it. If you can help them to become aware of their attitude and guide them towards being more positive, you will be doing them (and yourself) a great service.

Many famous Yogis emphasize the power of positive thinking. See Paramahansa Yogananada’s many books at: http://bookstore.yogananda-srf.org/ and Swami Vishnudevananda’s: http://www.sivananda.eu/en/sivananda-yoga/the-yoga-masters.html. Also see the entertaining books by Norman Vincent Peale, who many consider the Father of Positive Thinking: http://normanvincentpeale.wwwhubs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment